The New Normal
I bet it’s no surprise to find out “new normal” made the top 8 list of Pandemic phrases people are tired of hearing.
Given all the changes thrust upon us, i.e., SIP, home schooling, working from home, zoom meetings, masks, 6 feet of separation, and other social requirements – I’m not sure I want to think of any of these things as a new normal with any sense of permanence. With so much uncertainty, it’s hard to know what normal is going to look like tomorrow, let alone 1, 6, or 12 months from now. While the impact and aftermath of Covid will be felt for some time, I’m not sure how long it will take to feel “normal” as we go through our day-to-day. I prefer to believe I have a say, and get to choose, what that looks like for my life even with the knowledge that some of these changes may be here to stay (of course within those areas I can actually control). I also choose not to wait to decide and to be an active participant.
Imagine for a moment the possibility of creating a different experience just based on shifting our thoughts. Did you know our beliefs create our experiences and our experiences support our beliefs? You may be thinking, “but I can’t control what’s happening in the world right now!” This is true, but what can we control? I know I can control how I feel each day, the choices I make, how I nurture myself and the relationships in my life, my creativity, the thoughts I have about what’s happening in the world and how I show up for my life.
Shifting our thoughts and replacing negative or limiting beliefs can have such a positive impact on your life and be so empowering! Accepting something “just because” can cause fear, anxiety, stress, and an overwhelming feeling that we have no control or choices. The words we use and thoughts we have are so powerful. So, ask yourself…
- If this is your “new normal” going forward, how does that translate in your life?
- What beliefs or thoughts do you have right now – are they empowering or limiting?
- What meaning have you given to what’s happening or the phrases we use so often?
Spend some time on these questions and you may discover some beliefs or thoughts that are creating a negative experience, causing fear, keeping you stuck in a specific pattern of thinking or from moving forward.
Instead of “New Normal” how about…
- New possibilities
- New opportunities
- New way to experience life
- New challenges and ideas
- Overcoming obstacles
- Creative opportunities
- Creating new meaning
- Creating new family rituals and routines
- Thinking outside of the box
- Time for adjustments
- The gift of time
- New habit changes
- New ways to communicate and improve our relationships
- Finding joy amidst the fear
- Changing perspective
- New opportunity for growth and learning
While it takes some practice and awareness, you can create a different experience by reframing negative or limiting beliefs you have. Only you can decide how “new normal” shows up in your life and how it affects you, your lifestyle and choices.
- Take a sheet of paper and draw a line down the middle.
- On the left-hand side make a list of current beliefs and thoughts.
- Highlight or circle those that are negative or limiting in some way.
- On the right-hand side reframe or restate that belief to something empowering that gives you energy, hope and inspiration.
- Repeat this and revisit the list often
- What did you discover?
Most importantly – seek support if you need it! There are meetup groups and numerous other resources available to stay connected and feel supported. Don’t assume anyone knows what you are going through or the toll the stress is taking on you.
Find your people as you are not alone! Embrace your new thoughts and perspective!